I'm not sure if I get your point correctly but I didn't change `target` in [1].

If you meant the user's itself java 11 compiled classes structure, to double
verify if it works, with [1]'s local branch with a few local changes into
showcase app, I compiled showcase app into a war file with JDK11. Inside the
war file, I verified that showcase classes are compiled with JDK11 and
WEB-INF\lib\struts-convention-plugin.jar classes are compiled with JDK7 (via
viewing their .class files first 8 bytes) i.e. similar to Sebastian case. I
then deployed that war into tomcat starting with java 11. I saw it launched
with no error and I saw it's bean-validation-example.action (a convention
configured action) works fine.

Regards.

[1] https://github.com/apache/struts/pull/315