Can you clarify, (maybe using an xml instance) what your complexType
List would look like. As far as I am aware this is not possible
because its illegal/invalid according to the schema specification.
Also, to me, using list ONLY makes sense using a simple type anyway.
 If you can let the list know what you are hoping your instance will
look like maybe we can suggest something more suitable.

As far as the data types, I usually look to the w3schools.com xsd
tutorial or part2 of the xml schema spec.

-jacobd