Patrizio,

There are a number of ways to find out the name of the document root or
return the object that represents its content, but the first that comes
to mind is using the cursor:

XmlCursor xc = document.newCursor();
xc.toFirstChild();
QName nameOfTopLevelElement = xc.getName();
XmlObject contentOfTopLevelElement = xc.getObject();

Cezar