chang,

if the problem is on client startup, then it isn't the heartbeat
stamped, it is session establishment. the heartbeats are very light
weight, so i can't imagine them causing any issues.

the two key issues we need to know are: 1) the version of the server
you are running, and 2) if you are using a dedicated device for the
transaction log.

ben