From: Stephen Winnall [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: zaterdag 6 maart 2004 23:15
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [OS-X] Serious Encoding Problems (VM Bug?)

I had a similar problem storing German text in a Postgresql database
under
Mac OS X. I discovered that

1) Java stored data in the database in UTF-8;
2) Java does not necessarily read Strings in the format you would
expect.

I populated the database from a Microsoft Excel source using a Java
program and POI. I converted the strings from POI to whatever Java uses
internally using the following function:

   private static String toJava( String cp1252 ) {
     try {
       return new String( cp1252.getBytes(), "Cp1252" );
     } catch( Exception e ) {
       e.printStackTrace( System.err );
     }
     return cp1252; //dummy value to keep the compiler happy: we never
get here
   }

The Postgresql JDBC put the stuff into the database in UTF-8 format.
Perhaps
the MySQL JDBC does something similar.

The Mac seems to prefer something called Mac OS Roman to ISO 8859-1. I
have
decided to use UTF-8 as "lingua franca" and hope that Deli or something
similar will allow me to generate whatever the client actually wants.

I didn't have to fiddle with the JVM parameters.

Perhaps this helps you...

Cheers
Steve