Yves Vindevogel wrote:

My problem (see: Bug in ServerPages Generator ??) could be related to this.

If I declare some string in Java within XSP, I have to use unicode for (in
my case) french characters.  I now experience the same problems with data
coming from my database.

I think it could also be VM related (I'm using 1.4.2_03 *i think*) or the
JDBC driver.
I do not have the problem on OSX, but I connect to the database using the
mydatabase?charSet=iso-8859-1 dburl.

well, thanks for the comments, so it is probably not me beeing too stupid, because I tried all tips, but no one worked so far: and to mention it again: it already worked with the JDK version before the update; so meanwhile I really assume, that this is a JDK bug!

btw.: what do you mean with

mydatabase?charSet=iso-8859-1 dburl.

?

thanks