I recommend using the Knopflerfish Desktop, which has a command-line interface
in it with history (not sure about auto-completion)... (notice you can probably
use just the console bundle, but I have not tried that).

https://www.knopflerfish.org/desktop.html

It does not require any particular container.... I use it with the Felix
Container and it works fine...
The minimum set of bundles I use to make it work:

                org.knopflerfish.bundle.console

                org.knopflerfish.bundle.commons-logging

                org.knopflerfish.bundle.desktop

I have a demo on the osgi-run project you can check:
https://github.com/renatoathaydes/osgi-run/blob/master/osgi-run-test/using-knopflerfish/build.gradle
If you have gradle, just do "gradle runOsgi" with this file in the same
directory, and you can play with the Desktop! (NOTE: if you don't checkout the
project with git, and just copy this file and run, you need to replace the
plugin declaration with this one:

plugins { id 'com.athaydes.osgi-run' version "1.3.0" }

CLI docs:
http://www.knopflerfish.org/releases/3.3.0/docs/bundledoc/index.html?docpage=console/index.html

Regards,
Renato