The main reason is that the Karaf specific way of writing commands, on
which completion depends, had been rejected years ago by the community.

The new attempt I'm proposing has the benefit of being completely
independent about how the command are actually written.  You can add
completion for existing gogo commands or rely on some higher level library
such as the karaf commands.

Also, keep in mind completion needs a library to access the terminal and
reading the line.  Gogo runtime never provided that (and stil does not in
my proposal), so those part are done inside the gogo-jline module which
depends on jline, giving completion and more.