When the application is complete, I dispatch a custom event to let the rest
of my components know that the app is loaded so that they can then get the
width and height of the app and lay themselves out appropriately.  In my
main app, I have this code:

protected function appCreationCompleteHandler(event:FlexEvent):void {

        // Dispatch an event to the rest of the application that the
application is
complete so that I can calculate all of my layout distances
        var e:Event = new Event("appComplete", true);
        dispatchEvent(e);
        appWidth = stage.stageWidth;
        appHeight = stage.stageHeight;
}

In my application descriptor file, I have the following values set:

<aspectRatio>portrait</aspectRatio>

<autoOrients>false</autoOrients>
<fullScreen>true</fullScreen>
<visible>true</visible>
<softKeyboardBehavior>pan</softKeyboardBehavior>

I feel like it has to be something in my descriptor file, because it is laid
out perfectly in the simulator, just not on the device.  The height values
appear to be correct on the device, but the width is just WAY off.