On 28/02/2012, Roger Sawkins <ro...@sawkins.name> wrote:
> I have Powerpoint on one machine and LibreOffice on another. I want to be
> able to edit and save PowerPoints on either machine. However, when loading
> Ppt in Presentation it does not always convert font and layout properly.
> Occasional tabs or spaces are missing or duplicated; occasional text boxes
> have text outside the slide, etc.

Your are wasting your time. Make a cost-benefit analysis and decide
whether to use either LO or m$; do not bother trying to use both.

>  Then when I then save the presentation as ppt it changes the font, for
> example, from bold to basic and shows tabs or spaces (see above) as missing.

This is because m$ has no desire to use odf. To prove the point,
create an odp (two versions, one odf11, another odf12) document using
LO. Open the odp document using m$. Send details of the changes to the
odp file that m$ causes, to m$ technical support. Tell us the results
of your contact with m$.

> Is there some way of ensuring that the conversions are consistent and
> presentations can be switched back and forth?

Never in a million years.