> As far as I remember all I had to do when I needed a custom footer was a
> custom factory + a panel (java & html).
> I didn't need to touch the application and the registrar.

According to docs here https://isis.apache.org/guides/ugvw.html
it is necessary to create a custom registart and add your factory
there. Then you have to add your custom register to the app.

>> I think if we give the users ability to customise the existing footer,
>> it will be an easy win.
>>
>> It is already possible to disable the theme selector through
>>
>> isis.viewer.wicket.themes.showChooser=false
>>
>> and we can add similar features for the  breadcrumb and bookmarks too.
>> I can do that for breadcrumbs, but the bookmark one is slightly more
>> complicated for me.
>>
>> And last but not least, if I can provide my own html snippet for the
>> footer text, it will be enough. Then the whole UI is customisable w/o
>> touching 5-6 java classes.
>>
>> WDYT?
>>

> IMO the current way is better because by providing your own FooterPanel you
> decide where exactly to put the text (left, middle, right), what font to
> use, etc.
> If it is just a text then most probably won't look good enough for everyone.

Agreed. I had to replace the whole fotter.
But I've also PR ability to hide breadcrumbs similarly to themes.

I still need a way to hide bookmarks panel though.

>> PS: as for the broken theme, it is not giving a good first impression
>> to new comers who would try the few options on the UI. And hiding the
>> broken template will be easy though configuration. I'll do a PR for
>> it.
>>

> I think the proper way is to update Wicket-Bootstrap dependency. This will
> remove Amelia from the list of available themes.
> But the upgrade might break the current UI for some themes too...
>
> We have seen in the past that not all themes look perfect as is. That's why
> there are overrides like
> https://github.com/apache/isis/blob/d023786e74f4f16c57cb67e38c08c7e63f9036fe/core/viewer-wicket-ui/src/main/java/org/apache/isis/viewer/wicket/ui/pages/bootstrap-overrides-darkly.css
> The list of themes is just to show that is relatively easy to customize the
> UI for your needs. I guess the best we can do is to explain this in the
> documentation.

I still think we should avoid bad UX with a broken theme, considering
there is a one line config change fix for it which we can use now.

Thanks for your help,