Over the last few days I've come across a problem while trying to recover
from a ranaway script that created tens of thousands of nodes under a
single node.

When I get the parent node to this large number of new nodes and call
hasNodes() things lock up and the Mongo query times out. Similar problem
when you try to call getNodes() to return a nodeIterator.

I know that one of the key points with Oak was meant to be the ability to
handle a large number of child nodes,

The second problem I have is in removing these nodes. While I was able to
find out the node paths without the above calls to get each node by path
when I call node.remove() it is taking about 20-30 seconds to delete each
node. I wanted to remove about 300,000 nodes, but at 20 seconds a node....
just under 69 days. It took no more than 2 days to add then, probably much
shorter.

While I'm working on ways around these problems - essentially by rebuilding
the repo - it would be good to see if these problems are known or whether
there is something I'm doing wrong.