Two thoughts:

1) It's a known issue (severe weakness) in the design of Jackrabbit/Oak
that it chokes like a dog on large numbers of child nodes all under the
same node. Many users have struggled with this, and imo it has been one of
the massive flaws that has kept the JCR from really taking off. I mean,
probably still only 1% of developers have ever heard of the JCR.

2) About cleaning up the massive child list, be sure you aren't doing a
commit (save) after each node. Try to run commits after 100 to 500 deletes
at a time.

Good luck. That scalability issue is a pretty big problem. I sure wish
Adobe would find some people with the requisite skill to get that fixed.
Every serious user runs into this problem. I mean the Derby DB is
litterally 100x of times more powerful, and most people consider Derby a
toy.

Best regards,
Clay Ferguson
wcl...@gmail.com