I agree, the technical documentation is not the place to keep basic how-to
examples. But with Jena the basic how-to examples seem to be missing entirely.
I have written GUI applications using the available examples from MYSQL. MYSQL
does have this kind of thing if you look. Jena does not.

Try typing " mysql java gui tutorial" into Google and see what pops up.
Then try " Jena java gui tutorial" and contrast the results.

The MySQL fans have done the groundwork to attract beginning programmers to
their ecosystem. I think it is time the Jena fans did something similar.

DM

On 19/3/18, 6:56 pm, "Kevin Dreßler" <kvndrs...@gmail.com> wrote:

    > On 19. Mar 2018, at 08:31, David Moss <admo...@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > [...]
    >    I see this kind of example as the missing link that prevents anyone
other than expert using Jena.
    >    So long as easy to follow examples of how to get from an rdf
triplestore to information displayed on a screen in a standard GUI way are
missing, Jena will remain a plaything for expert enthusiasts.

    By that argumentation MySQL will also forever remain a plaything for expert
enthusiasts, as I couldn't find any example in their documentation about how
you set up GUI controls with values obtained from MySQL.
    What you are after is probably a kind of end-to-end tutorial to a certain
tech stack and I agree that there are probably far less of those for linked
data tech stacks than for more traditional ways of doing things. But the Apache
Jena documentation is certainly not the right place for such content just as
you won't find complete AMP stack tutorials in the MySQL documentation.