On 07/08/2017 05:11 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
On 07/09/17 07:17, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
Thanks for correcting me on the Centos vs Fedora issue, I made a leap of faith
that
I shouldn't have. That being said, if you say RPMFusion is 375.66 then that is
the
same one available at ElRepo. Isn't the version available based on graphic card
rather than opSys.
No.  The version of the nVidia drivers supplied by the repo is purely the
choice of
those running the repo.  They pick up the drivers themselves from nVidia and
then
simply repackage them in "rpm" format to make installation easier.

I went by their website, which is kind of hard to read and a bit outdated.  I
suppose
I really should look in the repo to see what version they are supplying....but
frankly it isn't that important to me.

Oh, I definitely missed that aspect. Middle of page of https://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-nvidia where it lists kmod-nvidia-<whichOne>xx is what led me to believe that. I can see on https://negativo17.org/nvidia-driver/ that they list driver version for el6/el7 as 375.66 and f24/25/26 as 381.22. Thanks for explaining the model to me.

Obviously, I really meant it when I said I was a newbie to NVidia (smile) on Linux w/ nouveau (smile).

I have to revisit my understanding of all this

And I did not know about RPMFusion / akmod support ... I figured updates from
NVidia would be unlikely for RHEL / Centos but was wondering what I would have
do if I discovered there was one.
You may be coming confused as to the purpose of akmod?  It has nothing to do
with
"updated" drivers.  The nVidia drivers are in a module which needs to be
"inserted"
in the running kernel.  You can list those modules using the "lsmod" command.
All of
these modules are built specifically for a particular running kernel.  For
example, I
have 3 kernels installed on my system so you'd find this.....

egreshko@meimei ~]$ locate nvidia.ko
/usr/lib/modules/4.11.6-201.fc25.x86_64/extra/nvidia/nvidia.ko
/usr/lib/modules/4.11.7-200.fc25.x86_64/extra/nvidia/nvidia.ko
/usr/lib/modules/4.11.8-200.fc25.x86_64/extra/nvidia/nvidia.ko

When the kernel is updated the akmod process with build the nvidia.ko module,
package
it in a rpm, and install the rpm.

Reading this and your prior email shows that I did get myself confused. I think part of that confusion may be the above mentioned model for what the version represents. The other part is clearly a mis-read of your original comment, apologies

I appreciate your taking the time to straighten out some of my misconceptions (I am positive there are more on this one and I need to do the work to straighten them out myself)

Best,
Paul