On 07/08/2017 07:07 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
On 07/09/17 09:51, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
Thanks for info.

I found this for long-lived:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OTkxOA.

I am assuming short-lived is for Fedoras and the like in which they may
want/need
to move to another version and will abandon the prior short-lived?

No, nothing to do with any distribution like Fedora or any other.

It has to do with personal choices based on what HW you have, or want to buy,
and if
you're interested in newer HW or features being introduced.  As mentioned
previously,
RPMfusion (which targets Fedora) releases the latest versions of the Long Live
SW.

I suppose I'd be tempted to refer to Short Lived as their Beta branch.......but
they
(nVidia) may consider it differently.

In the end, none of that matters.  You pick the repo that gives you what you
need and
want.  I've been perfectly happy with RPMfusion and their packages and
methodology
when it comes to installation and updates to nVidia.

Ed:

My take on this came from the negativo17.org page I sent in earlier email which states:

"Here is a rundown of Nvidia supported drivers and options split by distribution. Basically, CentOS/RHEL will always get a Long Lived branch release if possible, Fedora always a Short Lived branch release, and unreleased distributions will always get a Beta driver."

I cannot find an NVidia definition of short-lived (which I think is what is needed here) ... this was the closest example I could find that attempted to put short-lived in context. Seems to be a repo decision given that RPMfusion uses the Long-Lived for Fedora. And, in Negativo17's case, they are to some extent making decisions based on what distribution it is.

For what it is worth, the folks I got the advice to go with ElRepo as it is more idiot-proof than other repos also mentioned Negativo17 but the take was they might be a bit less conservative with choices when we looked at their decision for multimedia. Hence, they may be comfortable with a short-lived branch while PRMfusion isn't? (and, yes, this is a purely speculative swag)

I admit that I am newbie here and might be making wrong conclusions, but with each correction I get a little bit better understanding.

Paul