Going off on a tangent, but replying to this comment in the thread:

Allegedly, on or about 17 July 2017, stan sent:
> This sounds a lot like a vim plugin for editing html.  In that plugin,
> it uses the , as the key to indicate that it is receiving a command.
> So, whenever a comma is typed, it treats any character within a second
> as a command, and does a lookup to see if it should do anything.  This
> causes a pause whenever a , is typed if that plugin is active.

I use some things added to the .vimrc file to do that kind of thing, but
its trigger character is the backslash:  \  The backslash is something
that we don't make a lot of use of in general typing, so about the only
time I'd ever type it in VIM was when using a special code.  On those
few occasions I do want to type it, I can either double-tap it, or just
wait a moment.

The comma, on the other hand, gets typed an awful lot, I always want it
to be a comma, and I don't want it interrupting normal typing.

So, if you can change your special code character, the backslash is a
reasonable one to pick, the comma seems a really bad choice.  And it can
be typed without having to use shift (at least on my keyboard layout),
so it's quick.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
(always current details of the computer that I'm writing this email on)

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is
no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see the messages

Windows tablets are more like suppositories.