On 03/13/18 05:20, Stephen Morris wrote:

> Thanks Ed, I'll check the doco out, I was just expecting the command to do
> exactly
> what the help info said, output the information for all files, not just a
> subset.

It *does* do exactly what the man page says.  You just have to understand the
"context" in which it is saying it.

Let me complete my thought.  Even take the "ls" command as an example.

[egreshko@meimei test-dir]$ ls
test  test1  test2

[egreshko@meimei test-dir]$ ls -a
.  ..  test  test1  test2  .test3  .test4  .test5

[egreshko@meimei test-dir]$ ls *
test  test1  test2

[egreshko@meimei test-dir]$ shopt -s dotglob

[egreshko@meimei test-dir]$ ls *
test  test1  test2  .test3  .test4  .test5

--
Conjecture is just a conclusion based on incomplete information. It isn't a
fact.