On 03/14/18 04:44, Stephen Morris wrote:

> I'm now completely confused. The command du -abh /home/steve/workspace is now
> displaying the information directories beginning with a '.' and at least some
> files
> beginning with a '.' without having issued the shopt command.

The command you're showing DOES NOT do pattern matching!

du -abh /home/steve/workspace

v.s.

du -abh /home/steve/workspace/*

The later command is basically creating a list of files (a shell function) and
doing
a "du" on each file individually.

Notice that if you use that command you don't get a summary of what is in the
workspace directory.  Also, note that the later command creates a sorted list.

You are mixing functions of the bash shell and the command being run within the
shell!

--
Conjecture is just a conclusion based on incomplete information. It isn't a
fact.