Joe Zeff <j...@zeff.us> writes:

> On 06/17/2013 07:21 PM, lee wrote:
>> Joe Zeff <j...@zeff.us> writes:

> [...]
> (On a side note, waiting until you think your hardware's getting flaky
> before starting it isn't always a good idea, because unless you're
> lucky you probably won't have time to collect and examine the data
> before it's too late.)

That might very well be, so what do you suggest I should grep the
logfile for to send myself a warning once mcelog logs something?

> I must admit, however, that I've begun to wonder why I'm bothering
> because you've clearly made up your mind that you don't need mcelog
> running and have no intention of admitting that there might be reasons
> to have it active.  If so, do as you wish and stop bothering the rest
> of us.  Or, if I'm wrong, stop rejecting everything everybody says
> without even bothering to examine it, as you've been doing ever since
> you started this thread.

I haven't been rejecting anything without examining it and haven't made
up my mind yet.  I've merely been saying that I don't see much point in
dedicating resources to log warnings which I wouldn't see until it's too
late.  With more and more stuff running in the background, it becomes
increasingly difficult to figure out what might actually be required,
useful or nice to have and not needed at all --- if you even can find
out what something does to begin with.

Look at pulseaudio, for example.  It can be useful *if* you actually
have use for features it provides --- which I don't.  As it's now, it
just wastes some CPU time without any benefit, and I'd rather get rid of
it.  I can't even get sound when I'm not logged in on the console, and
when I'm logged in as a different user, that user can't get any sound,
either.  I don't know if pulseaudio causes these issues or if it's some
security policy Fedora has.  In any case, it makes things more insecure
because it forces me to run applications that need sound on my main
account which I otherwise could run as a different user.

It's like installing all available packages just because they exist.  I
don't do that, and I don't want to have all kinds of things running I
don't need.  Why is md running?  I'm not using software raid.  Why is
irqbalance running?  Does it really do anything useful?  What about
rtkit-daemon?  That sounds like something watching out for rootkits, but
what does it actually do, and will it warn me?  Why is goa-daemon
running?  I'm very likely not using whatever they call "online
accounts".  How do I disable that?  The list goes on ... At some point,
the system will be occupied with itself only because there's too much
stuff running in the background I don't need.

mcelog is merely one of these questionable things, and I don't want to
just turn it off when it might be actually useful.

--
Fedora 18