From: users-boun...@lists.ironpython.com
[mailto:users-boun...@lists.ironpython.com] On Behalf Of Michael Foord
Sent: Monday, April 27, 2009 9:07 AM
To: Discussion of IronPython
Subject: Re: [IronPython] pywin32 on Iron Python?

Vernon Cole wrote:
> This is an opinion poll...
>
> The portion of pywin32 which I maintain, adodbapi, will work in either
> CPython or IronPython. That was (relatively) easy, since it is written
> in pure Python.
>
> Pywin32 is a complete package which allows a python programmer to
> perform many Windows systems administration functions, or use native
> Windows features easily in an application program.  While anything
> which can be done in pywin32 can also be done (perhaps with more
> difficulty) using .NET code, it seems that it would be convenient to
> have the same API available in either environment.  This question is
> meaningful now, since work is starting on a second edition of the book
> "Python Programming on Win32" and we would like to know how much Iron
> Python information to include.
>
> Is there any interest in forking the pywin32 C code into C# so that
> the entire package can be run in a .NET environment using IronPython?

Providing the same API as a wrapper over C# would *definitely* be of
interest.

My guess is that some of what pywin32 does there is already a .NET
wrapper available for (although there might be some API mismatch) and
for a lot you will need to use P/Invoke.

Another approach would be to rewrite pywin32 to use ctypes and then
pywin32 would run on PyPy, Jython, Python *and* IronPython once Jeff
Hardy has completed his port...

All the best,

Michael

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/