After we had OpenMPI 1.54 working, we moved to OpenMPI 1.55 without incident.

However, neither 1.54 nor 1.55  would link any reference to comm_world
generated
from C or C++ until we defined the following three compiler defines
   1. OMPI_IMPORTS
   2. OPAL_IMPORTS
   3. ORTE_IMPORTS

(drill down the MSVC IDE  menu system: View Solution Explorer,
Solution explorer,  properties, C/C++, Preprocessor, Preprocessor
Definitions and set OMPI_IMPORTS OPAL_IMPORTS and ORTE_IMPORTS)

--

Greg Blair

CONFIDENTIAL
This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential and
is the property of the Morgan Solar Incorporated. It is intended only for
the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate,
distribute, or use this message or any part thereof. If you receive this
message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all
copies of this message.