This is not related. The dependency plugin has some issues resolving
things from the reactor and ranges in the following goals only:
copy
unpack
go-offline
resolve-plugins

All the other goals set @requiresDependencyResolution test which will
cause Maven to resolve all dependencies prior to the plugin running.
So if you're seeing some error, it's happening in the core. Provide a
sample project and/or some debug output and we might be able to tell
what the problem is.