I was about to reply with the same thing.  The Maven way is to install
artifacts.  Many plugins, rightly or not, depend on artifacts being
located in the local repository.

-----Original Message-----
From: Wayne Fay [mailto:wayne...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 4:53 PM
To: Maven Users List
Subject: Re: Why would 'mvn dependencies:tree' fail while 'mvn compile'
works?

> My adversion to running 'mvn clean install' is just that I'd prefer
> not to have to build and install something just to be able to examine
its dependencies.

This is merely a preference, right?

> under various 3rd party dependency scenarios. It seems backwards to me

> to have to first build and install something only to be able to
> examine some abstract properties of it, so that's my main blocker.

This is merely a mental blocker, right?

> If there is some more maven-ey way to go about this stuff, I'm all for
it.

Run mvn clean install... that is the "maven-ey way to go about this
stuff." As Brian already said "running tree on a not-yet compiled or
installed project is an edge case."

Wayne

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any files attached may contain
confidential and proprietary information of Alcatel-Lucent and/or its
affiliated entities. Access by the intended recipient only is authorized. Any
liability arising from any party acting, or refraining from acting, on any
information contained in this e-mail is hereby excluded. If you are not the
intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately, destroy the original
transmission and its attachments and do not disclose the contents to any other
person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium.
Copyright in this e-mail and any attachments belongs to Alcatel-Lucent and/or
its affiliated entities.