Most serious users of Maven start out by building and releasing a
common parent POM for their corporation or workgroup. This locks down
plugin versions and configures core plugins such as the
maven-compiler-plugin. So the old default to 1.3 was never a very
serious inconvenience, since it's just a line or two as part of the
overall process.

Please don't even suggest the idea that we'd default Maven to 1.7.
Taken as a lump, the Java development community is very slow to adopt
new versions of Java, thanks in part to the disfunctions of Sun and
Oracle that occupied the last few years.

As for the core devs, no, un-uh. We have our own constraints, and
requiring Java 1.7 to contribute to Maven would gratuitously exclude.