On 31 May 2013 20:30, Curtis Rueden <ctrue...@wisc.edu> wrote:
> You seem like a very smart guy, but your mails come off very negatively.
> Have you heard of the "praise sandwich"?

That requires there to be something to praise. Every time I've used
maven over the last 8 years or so it has disappointed me. My views had
been improving, yet once again I find that even the core plugins like
this one are unreliable and impossible to setup without trial and
error, hacks and workarounds. My cries of pain are merely what I'm
sure many others go through every day.

It looks like separate aggregator and parent projects simply don't
work with the site plugin. But it would be good for someone to accept
that is the case.

> But it is a complex system that is developed by an OSS community

Partly. But also backed by a company, Sonatype, with enough staff to
have 5 C level executives. Perhaps they need to invest a little more
in fixing their underlying technology?

> As for why the site plugin sucks so much, ... the site plugin is mainly
> intended to document Maven plugins....

If thats true, then the website should have a big sign on it saying DO
NOT USE. However, and entire chapter in the maven book suggests
otherwise
http://books.sonatype.com/mvnref-book/reference/site-generation-sect-intro.html

Finally, I could have stayed silent, or merely ranted more on twitter.
I took the time to log each problem I faced in enough detail for
someone to look at, and would answer more questions if desired.
Ignoring such feedback, even if unpleasant, isn't healthy.

Stephen