yes, I worked recently on this exact issue: site *staging* on complex cases
like yours, which is not as usual as you expect
It took me a good number of hours with the issue reporter to understand what
he was doing, what he was expecting that wasn't trivial, and I found a
solution with this topSiteURL

But you're right, the option is still under-documented: yes, it's done on my
free time
And your last comment on the issue is interesting : yes, adding a sanity check
when the stage goal writes outside target/staging would help a lot
Please open a new issue on this: I'll work on it, because such good ideas are
the ones that help make things better, step by step, idea after idea

Notice: don't blame Sonatype for everything about Maven, because Maven =
Apache Maven (with its PMC to blame if you want), which contains more than
what Sonatype really supports.
And even if the line between what Sonatype supports or not is not always
clear, AFAIK maven-site-plugin is exactly one part that is not supported by
Sonatype

I hope we'll continue good work and improvements thgough this Jira issue about
sanity check, and other ideas that will happen after that

Regards,

Hervé