V. interesting, thanks.

I'm using TeamCity so controlling an infinite loop using trigger configs
should be easy.

However I don't want to use snapshot versioning at all, so the
maven-release-plugin is essentially not the right tool for the job.

These projects are microservices so every code commit is a release
candidate. My goal is to get maven to increment the build number on each
build - the build number shouldn't be switched back and forth between
-SNAPSHOT and non-snapshot. The main aim is to keep it simple, v2.1.3 ->
v.2.1.4 -> v2.1.5 etc so dealing with -SNAPSHOT gets in the way.

The CI server will run the tests and verify that they pass and if so, merge
or rebase the checkin into the master somehow via maven.

That blog post by Stephen hits it square between the eyes - although in my
case to get rid of -SNAPSHOT, I'll probably need to write a plugin to run
the git plugin through the required steps.

Surprised it doesn't exist already, IMHO semantic versioning is clearly more
desirable than the git commit hash. A maven plugin probably does, but is
just not widely publicised.

Sorry for the long pause before answering.

--
Sent from: http://maven.40175.n5.nabble.com/Maven-Users-f40176.html