On 16/11/17 20:40, Stephen Connolly wrote:
I think you’ll want to keep master with a version of at least SNAPSHOT or
1-SNAPSHOT and wholesale replace it with the real build version number on
the CI server and just have that version in the tag.

The issue with using release versions on master is that developers will get
inconsistencies in builds because release versions are assumed final and
will never be refetched.

Ignore this advice at your peril

I don't understand what you are warning me about.

The release process I am trying to automate is utterly simple. The developer:

- codes and tests everything
- increments the version number
- pushes to master
- tags the push

If at some later date we want to go back to a certain version, we check out that tag.

Admittedly there may be complexities to deal with, but the approach is to keep it simple.