On Thu 16 Nov 2017 at 21:10, Adam Hardy <adam.ha...@cyberspaceroad.com>
wrote:

> On 16/11/17 20:40, Stephen Connolly wrote:
> > I think you’ll want to keep master with a version of at least SNAPSHOT or
> > 1-SNAPSHOT and wholesale replace it with the real build version number on
> > the CI server and just have that version in the tag.
> >
> > The issue with using release versions on master is that developers will
> get
> > inconsistencies in builds because release versions are assumed final and
> > will never be refetched.
> >
> > Ignore this advice at your peril
>
> I don't understand what you are warning me about.

Only use release versions for releases

For any builds in between releases, always use a SNAPSHOT. If you don’t
want to commit to a version (which it sounds like you don’t) then pick
either SNAPSHOT or major-SNAPSHOT (eg 1-SNAPSHOT) and *keep* the master
branch *always* on that version, irrespective of what versions get released.

Maven treats release version numbers differently from SNAPSHOT... it sounds
like you want to ignore the distinction... that will cause issues for your
developers... if you want to learn those issues the hard way, do what you
want... if you want to take the advice of a veteran, you will use a
SNAPSHOT for the master branch.