Inline...

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric B [mailto:ebenza...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 8:27 PM
To: Maven Users List <users@maven.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Looking for recommendations how to best use Maven in a muti-stage
Pipeline build to only deploy at the end

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the suggestions.  To be honest, I never thought of using regular
repositories as staging repos.  That being said, I do see a hiccup with the
option that I'm not sure how to address.  In the case where a build is rejected
during the pipelline stage, how do I delete it?  I haven't found a plugin that
would allow me to delete a build from a repo.  And with a multi-module project,
there are many artifacts that would need to be rolled back.  I guess I could
simply configure the repo to allow re-deployment of the same artifact to these
"stage" repos, but if ever a deployment fails part way through, I end up with a
repo in an unstable manner (ie: there is no way to ensure that all modules are
promoted at the same time).

[Robert] Typically, I would solve this problem by simply putting expiration
dates on artifacts in the staging repositories.  I have never used Nexus but
Artifactory allows you to limit artifacts in the repository by size, last time
accessed, etc.  No need to keep artifacts in the "staging repositories" for
more than say, one month, anyway since they were either good (and promoted all
the way to the release repository) or bad (and are not interesting after they
fail).

All that being said, the last question would be how to retrieve and redeploy
these artifacts from one repo to another?  Changing the distributionManagement
settings is simple enough, but how would I instruct maven to download all the
modules from a multi-module build and then deploy them?  I guess I could hack a
profile in the parent pom where the different modules are defined with a
dependency:copy-dependencies goal, but how do I ensure all artifacts that were
just downloaded are then deployed to the next repo in the stage?  I would think
the only way to do this would be writing my own custom plugin, unless you can
think of some other mechanism to accomplish this?

[Robert] Another way to do this is to use properties for the key values for the
repository URLs in the <repositories> and <distributionManagement> sections of
the POM.  You simply set a default value for the properties in the root POM
(e.g., with appropriate values for the repositories used by the developers) and
then override the property values with Maven command-line -Ds (or profiles) in
the Jenkins build steps to handle pulling and promoting to the right places...

Thanks,

Eric