Child projects specify their parent POM using the <parent> tag instead
of <extends>.  A parent tag looks like this:

<parent>
   <groupId>com.myproject</groupId>
   <artifactId>myproject</artifactId>
   <version>1.3-SNAPSHOT</version>
</parent>

The parent POM is looked for in the repository, so, in your source
structure, it can exist anywhere.

-Stephen

On 11/19/05, Wendy Smoak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Struts uses svn externals to place /struts/build/trunk under each
> other sub-project, such as core.  (Then a 'current' external to make
> it possible to check out all the sub-projects at once.)
>
> The result is a structure like this:
> /current/build
> /current/core
> /current/core/build
>
> Where those two build directories contain the exact same files.
>
> With m1 and the reactor, you could run from current/build/ using
>
> maven.multiproject.basedir  = ../
> maven.multiproject.includes = */project.xml
> maven.multiproject.excludes = build/*
>
>    and
>
>         <maven:reactor
>               basedir="../"
>               includes="*/project.xml"
>               excludes="build/project.xml"
>               goals="dist" />
>
> Then each of the project.xml files extends the project.xml *below* it
> in the svn external build directory:
>
>   <extend>build/project.xml</extend>
>
> In m2 it seems I can't have it both ways... build from the top and
> extend beneath using the same parent pom in multiple places.
>
> The goal is to be able to check out and build a single sub-project.
>
> I'll spare you my wild guesses at how to make this work and just ask
> for advice.  Can it be done, or will the sub-project poms have to
> <extend>../build/pom.xml</extend> ?  (Or should it be done some other
> way?)
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Wendy