I believe my problem description was not very clear. When I build, Maven
first displays the order in which it will build modules, based on analysis
of their dependencies. For example:

[INFO] Reactor build order:
[INFO]   MasterPOM
[INFO]   ModuleA
[INFO]   ModuleB
[INFO]   ModuleC
[INFO]   ModuleD

Using this example, when I do a build after removing my artifacts from my
local repository, ModuleA will build fine, but then I'll get an error while
building ModuleB indicating that ModuleC cannot be found. Neither module A
nor module B references module C - only module D references it. This
indicates to me that Maven is trying to resolve ModuleD's dependencies
before building B or C.

Anyway, this has never happend to me in about a year of using Maven2, so I'm
sure I have a POM somewhere with some subtle typo. I've scoured my many POMs
however, so I'm hoping someone has a suggestion of what I should look at.

To reiterate, this just started happening, and every module actually builds
if manually built in the order the Reactor describes above. Its just a
top-down build with an empty repository that fails (and I should say, my
goal is "install").

Thanks again.