Its a chicken and egg problem.

If you don't hard-code parent version in child = which parent version
should I use? Keep in mind the /parent/module layout in the filesystem
(with relativePath) is not an absolute requirement ie parent poms
could/should be checked into a Maven repo and resolved from there. The
fact that ../pom.xml "usually" works to find the parent is just an
enhancement to the functionality.

So assuming I have 3 parent pom versions in my Maven repo, how does
Maven know which one is "right" without being told?

Wayne

On 11/21/06, Los Morales <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Christian Goetze wrote:

>The trouble is that you need a -reference- to the parent's version in the
>children, and that reference does not seem to resolve any ${...}
>substitutions, so it needs to be hard coded.

Hmm... Was this the intended design or could this be fixed up in later
revisions?  Just seems that defining a top-level property should be
viewable/overriden by every child pom and hence conforming to the
*inheritance* contract touted by Maven.

-los