Wayne Fay wrote:

Its a chicken and egg problem.

If you don't hard-code parent version in child = which parent version
should I use? Keep in mind the /parent/module layout in the filesystem
(with relativePath) is not an absolute requirement ie parent poms
could/should be checked into a Maven repo and resolved from there. The
fact that ../pom.xml "usually" works to find the parent is just an
enhancement to the functionality.

So assuming I have 3 parent pom versions in my Maven repo, how does
Maven know which one is "right" without being told?

It could be told by setting -Dmy_version=<version> and using ${my_version} in the parent reference. But not even that works.
--
cg