One thing I'd like to see is a little more forethought about how the site
looks and feels to a modern audience.

Look at this site:
http://www.springframework.org/

Simple navigation on the left, big font for headers, nice and web 2.0-ish.
Useful information on the front page... something that makes me want to
visit again and again.

Then:
http://www.rubyonrails.org/

Does not overload you with information with big icons directing traffic. You
can easily drill down, down and down - eventually hitting the molten core of
what you want.

http://wicket.apache.org/

Again: big and easy to read - was even generated via Maven.

Then, the Maven site:
http://maven.apache.org/

Small fonts (never use 'px', ever again!), lots of crap on the left-hand
side. No real direction other than how to download. The real web 2.0? Not
necessarily AJAX, but, simplify, simplify, simplify - remove uninteresting
items from their field of view, and highlight what people want to see. Many
of the examples have XML or java code in them... why is the code not
highlighted? It's an easy win that would help tremendously with
comprehension - check out: http://code.google.com/p/syntaxhighlighter/

Besides look and feel, it's worth mentioning that the list of options on the
front page is horrid:

 * Run Maven
 * Use Maven
 * Write Maven Plugins
 * Improve the Maven Repository
 * Develop Maven

Run and Use? Is there a difference? Maybe, but is hardly an important enough
of a distinction to make right here.

Writing plugins seems cool enough - except the wordage kind of only makes
sense if you already understand Maven. How about "writing extensions" or
"customizing maven"?

"Improve the Repository" doesn't belong on the front page. It's a good thing
to try and push (community-wise), but is it really something your average
user cares about? If you think of the front-page as the front porch of your
house, you've just put a toilet out there - it confuses your guests, and
makes them think your whole house will smell like shit.

Ditto for "Develop Maven". Interested developers can dig for arcane
knowledge on their own - consider it a first test.

--
Eric Redmond
http://blog.propellors.net