Ken Liu wrote:

Do you know if that bug was introduced in 2.0.7 (or some other earlier release)?

I talked about two JIRA issues; their interactions are complex.

SUREFIRE-61 is listed as affecting "2.0 (2.2 plugin)"; that means it has probably been around for a long time. MNG-3118 is an "Improvement" and not a "Bug"; it was filed in July of 2007, but for all I know Maven has been behaving the old bad way since 2.0.0.

What's complex about this problem is that the two issues obfuscate each other. For many users, Maven was trying to use the "wrong" classpath, but Surefire was accidentally reversing it, resulting in the "right" classpath for some users. Since both bugs have been fixed in the latest versions of the software, people who get only one fix and not the other will suffer. :-(

My team is using 2.0.4 and we encountered a problem with the classpath ordering recently that caused builds to that were previously working to suddenly start failing.

If your project doesn't explicitly declare a version of Surefire, it will be automatically upgraded to the latest version (currently 2.4.1). The developers who designed that feature are very sorry about it. ;-)

Based on what I think I know about this problem, you're probably being auto-upgraded to 2.4.1; Surefire 2.4.1 + Maven 2.0.4 = bad classpath ordering.

-Dan