I took a copy of the project POM and put it in the surefire-integration-tests
directory. The tests failed. I then trawled through the project POM and then
its parent POM commenting out plugins, reporting, dependencies, and other bits
until the test passed.

The thing that was causing the test to fail was that in the parent POM:

<defaultGoal>package</defaultGoal>
<directory>target</directory>
<finalName>${pom.artifactId}-${pom.version}</finalName>
<sourceDirectory>${basedir}/src/main/java</sourceDirectory>
<testSourceDirectory>${basedir}/src/test/java</testSourceDirectory>
<testOutputDirectory>${basedir}/target/test-classes</testOutputDirectory>
<outputDirectory>${basedir}/target/classes</outputDirectory>

Changing just testOutputDirectory to

<testOutputDirectory>target/test-classes</testOutputDirectory>

Made the tests pass. I've no idea why. Do you want me to raise this as a bug?

Ben

This e-mail is confidential and intended solely for the use of the
individual(s) to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are
those of the author. If you are not the intended recipient, please be advised
that any use, dissemination, printing or copying of this email is strictly
prohibited.