2008/10/24 Jörg Schaible <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Hi Kent,
>
> Kent Närling wrote:
> > What IS really the purpose of <finalName>?
>
> It is used to give the resulting artifact a different name locally in your
> target directory.

only locally? a bit limited usefulness, but ok if that is the defined
purpose...

> > Apparently, the install plugin ignores the artifact name when
> > deploying it to the repository anyway??
>
> Definitely. The filename is part of the Maven repository's meta data.
> Otherwise Maven would have no chance of pulling it from there again.

Well, technically speaking... it COULD have looked in the POM file to find
out which filename to look for... ;-)

> > We would like to have a version-less filename on the artifact in the
> > repository (the version is in the path anyway), is this possible?
>
> No. These are Maven structures. IIRC there is a possibility to inject a
> different implementation for the RepositoryManager (or whatever the
> interface is called), but I am not aware of any alternative implementation.

Ok, but I was kind of hoping that we could use the maven repository as a
product download repository as well, which would have been nice?
(anyone else see the logic in this?)

Essentially what we are looking for is to make the release process automated
and standarddized with maven, including making it available to our delivery
department.
ie. when doing a release:
- branching/taging it etc (done nicely by the relase plugin already)
- uploading it to the repository for dependencies etc (done by maven nicely
already)
- updating a project site with product information , release notes and
download links to the artifacts belonging to it (so they can grab it and
install it at a customer)
- sending a release mail to relevant parties with links to the updated
product site, possibly with release notes etc

What would be the recommended "maven way" to achieve this behaviour?

> > If not, what is the real purpose of <finalName> if it is not
> > used for the
> > name of the artifact/file in the end anyway... ?
>
> You may either use the local file directly for a hot deployment on your
> developer machine or you can use additional plugins to process the file
> further.

Well, that is hardly a practical solution for non-developers ... ;-)