They are more powerful in the sense that you can still call any goal
independantly, but still have the flexibility to bind it to a phase
which is part of a well defined life cycle.  You get the best of both
worlds this way.

Perhaps the doxia plugin would work?

http://maven.apache.org/doxia/book/index.html

Not sure what you are doing in your profile that solves your issue
though. If you give some further info on this, perhaps some of the more
experieced Maven users can provide you with a pure Maven solution.

If you wish to run something independently, you don't need ant or Maven
for this. Run run the executable.

---
Todd Thiessen