Adam,

I cannot say exactly why the default settings won't work for you on a clean
installation, but it likely has to do with how small the VM is. The OS
overhead alone is probably a few hundred MB of RAM. If you have anything
else running, even just MySQL or MongoDB it's entirely possible that you
actually don't have enough memory to give even 512MB to NiFi.

My recommendation would be 4GB of RAM for the VM with Xms1G and Xmx2G for
the heap sizes. That's very reasonable for experimenting with something
like NiFi. The ram usage is very difficult to calculate in advance because
it's based entirely on what you're doing with NiFi.

Mike