Tim,

What version of NiFi are you using? As of 1.1.0 [1], you can specify a
Validation Query on the DBCPConnectionPool, this is used by DBCP to
validate that a connection is "good" before offering it to the client.
For idle/timed-out connections, the validation query should fail and
DBCP should attempt to get a new connection.

For the additional configuration, if a property cannot be added via
the JDBC URL, then it can be added as a user-defined property (as of
NiFi 1.2.0 [2]), the code calls dataSource.addConnectionProperty() for
each of the supplied key/value pairs. Please see the processor doc [3]
for more details.

Regards,
Matt

[3]