On 06/22/2013 10:35 AM, Rory O'Farrell wrote:

/snip/

> If the WP lobby feel so strongly about not having "Reveal Codes", why don't
> they do something about it and write an extension to do just that?

Maybe it's because we're not programmers. We're people who just want to
use a word processor without all the folderol of "styles." It may not
have occurred to some OO/LO folks that most of us do not want to change
styles or formats  all the time. Or, maybe, ever.  About the only
formats I ever change are typeface, type size, and justification.
Most of us are not writing advertizing copy, and we're not typesetters.
We have no reason to keep fooling with different "styles."

Now if OO and LO are so great, why can't they deal with curly quotes and
apostrophes in imported text? I have to go thru and fix all the
damned inch marks one by one by hand. WordPerfect can do that
automatically. Not only that, it can differentiate between quote marks
and real inch and foot designators. Let's see your OO/LO do that!

If I remember correctly--I haven't looked at OO/LO in some time--they
don't let you find and replace double spaces. Maybe they fixed that?

But I tend to work in Linux most often, so without WordPerfect, I have
chosen the SoftMaker products. TextMaker works better, IMO, than either
of the freebies, and it doesn't look so primitive, either. Oh, and
there's now a free version of that, I hear.

It's hopeless, folks. OO/LO have decided for you that if you want to use
them, you will have to get a book on style-programming. Enjoy!

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers..for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M.Greeley