On Sat, 22 Jun 2013, Toki Kantoor wrote:

Being able to surface some UI ability to reveal the sources of the feature
controls that govern a point in the user-perceived document text may require
both deep and wide modification of current code.  That does not make the
feature undesirable.  It makes it costly.  Even with agreement among
developers, there is the problem of enrolling open-source developers to
investigate and introduce it.  And it won't happen by unilateral contribution
alone.  There must be serious testing and other work to ensure that nothing is
destabilized.

Set up stylist to display _applied_ _character_ styles.
setup the formatting bar, to display the current paragraph style name,
along with some of the more commonly changed parameters.

That setup will provide more useful information about what is going with
the styles one is using, than the "reveal codes" extension that was
created almost a decade ago.

My guess is that that will provide the functional equivalent of "reveal
codes" as used in WP.

No, not at all, in my experience. One of the things RevealCodes was useful for was positioning the cursor inside or outside a given style setting. For example, type 2 characters, say 'ab', and bold one of them. Position the cursor between them and type another character. As far as I can tell, you have no control over whether you get the style of the 'a' or the style of the 'b'.

Another example: highlight some text, then delete the highlighted text. Most of the time the highlighting style will still be hiding there waiting for you, and when you type something else it gets highlighted. With something like RevealCodes you would be able to see it there and delete it.

Without being able to see what's going on, you (I) end up having to apply new character styles on top of existing ones blindly, with the result being a dog's breakfast that clogs up the document and may be difficult to debug. If I sound unhappy, it's because lately I've been spending a lot of time doing multiple revisions of such documents written by others. I recently looked into the content.xml file for one of these documents, which was responding slowly, and it was horrifying how messy it had become.

- Robert