There are two things to try, starting with the easy one first.

A. The easy way

 1. Start Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1.  Do that from your All Programs menu or, if
an icon was put on your desktop, use it.  We are not going to open any
documents just yet.

 2. When AOO is open and you see the dashboard that gives you a choice of
functions, look at the menu across the top of the "OpenOffice" window.

 3. Click "Tools" on the menu bar, and then click "Options"

 4. On the "Options - OpenOffice" dialog left sidebar, click on the "+"
Load/Save entry and when that expands to "-" Load/Save, click on "Microsoft
Office" in the list underneath.

 5. In the "Options - Load/Save - Microsoft Office" dialog window, click on all
four check boxes in the [L] column.  Click OK.

 6. In the Open ... entry on the dashboard, there might not be any list of
previously-opened documents.  Remember this, though, it will help you find
documents in the future.

 7. You can also use the top menu File > Open ... to explore folders and find
documents that way.  (You can also use the File > Recent Documents ... option
once you've been using AOO for a while.)

 8. But for now, Close OpenOffice.

 9. Now navigate Vista to a folder that has some of your saved-as .doc files.
They should now appear to have different icons (if you are viewing icons).  If
you double-click on these, they should open in Apache OpenOffice.

If (9) doesn't work, we can go to plan B.  Let us know and we can dive into
that.  It is something that is useful to know, but let's hold off right now.

 - Dennis

PS: Thanks for subscribing to users@ openoffice.apache.org.  As you saw, there
was much traffic in response to your messages.