At 00:03 06/10/2016 -0700, John Hart wrote:
On 10/5/2016 9:59 PM, Brian Barker wrote:
Aaargh! Please don't involve new red herrings. Page numbering is controlled by *page styles*, not templates, not the clutch pedal, not the key of C# minor ...

Until page numbering was added to the template, page numbering didn't work, so the template must be significant.

You are welcome to continue to ignore advice.

I would guess the vast majority of OO users, don't use master documents, and would encounter similar problems if they tried.

Others have suggested that you would do better to abandon the master document route. If nothing else, wouldn't it help you to get to grips with page styles and page numbering in a simple document first?

Some simple answers should solve the problem.

Your problem is definitely not any lack of answers. And you certainly cannot learn this stuff from answers. You may be able to get a particular document to work this way, but you will still be complaining that you don't understand what Writer is doing.

From the writers guide:
Be sure the first page of this new document is set to the page style you want for the first page of the final document; if it is not, change it.

Is this done by inserting a page break, and selecting something from the menu?

No. Why not use the Styles and Formatting panel, as has been suggested? Just double-click the required (page) style.

In our example, the style for the first page is Title page. There is no Title page option, but there is a first page, is this what should be selected, or am I on the wrong track?

There is indeed no built-in Title Page page style - so this must be a user-created style created earlier in the description of the example you are following.

Brian Barker