On 10/5/2016 1:53 AM, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
My advice is to forget working on your main document for the present - it is
too complex for initial learning and one is always worried that a wrong action
will destroy it.  Make a short trial file and use that to set up sample page
numbering.
The main document is just a list of files. It makes it a little slow opening, but there's no danger of them being corrupted, and they're securely backed up.

I brought up the style editor, which has more properties than the pop down.
It has a place for a name, but it wouldn't let me change it. It was
opened by right clicking on a paragraph, which is probably why. How
are new styles created, and shouldn't the styles that came with the
software be sufficient for the simple task of making a Title page,
Copyright page, and table of contents?

Is there a way to change the style selected when a break was inserted?
If not, how are they found and deleted?