On Wed, 5 Oct 2016 01:29:32 -0700
John Hart <jh...@testra.com> wrote:

> On 10/4/2016 6:05 PM, Girvin R. Herr wrote:
> > The trick is to first set up the page styles.
> Can a style be edited after it's used?
> If so how is it done?

One can certainly edit a style after it is used.  The best way to to this
(works for all versions) is to use /Format /Styles and Formatting (or F11 key).
 The window that then opens provides access to all styles; this access is
controlled by the five icons across the top of that window.

The first icon gives Paragraph styles, next icon Character Styles, then Frame
styles, Page Styles and list styles.

Press the 4th icon from left to display page styles.  The precise selection of
styles displayed can be controlled by the dropdown menu on that window bottom -
initially use "All styles",

Right click on a style and choose Modify from the popup.  This should allow you
to turn off Header/Footer display on the First Page Style (from memory, these
should be off by default).

> On the far left of the bottom command bar there's a toggle icon.
> One view shows a list of files, the other functions.
>
> At the top of the file list is an object called text.
> The instructions implied the title, copyright, table of contents,
> and preface are in this block.
> The instructions said insert a manual break,
> which brings up a list of three options, line break, column break, and
> page break. I don't know what a column break does, but the instructions
> said page break so it doesn't matter.

For Information: columns flow text from one column to the next.  If you wish to
cease the flow of text in one column and move to the next column for text
entry, you must insert a column break.  Frequently the need for a column break
indicates that the user has made a wrong choice - instead of using columns and
trying to position texts beside each other aligned across columns, a better
choice might have been to use Tables, where the texts can be aligned in cells
across a row,

>At below the options is a pop down
> of styles.
> [none]
> Envelop
> First page
> Landscape
> Right page
> Left page
>
> I use First page for the Title, expecting it not to have a page number,
> but it does.
>
> Do I need four text blocks in front of the files? Or can the four
> sections go in one block? I would like the page numbers for the chapters
> in the table of contents. Is the Index used for that?

Page numbers are inserted into a ToC by the defining structures selected for
the ToC.  My advice at present is to ignore the ToC and get  your document
correctly paginated.  Insertion of a correctly formatted ToC should cause page
numbering to automatically adjust to reflect the extra page(s) of the ToC.  Get
pagination correct first.

> If I understood the structure OO was creating, it would be easy to figure
> out how to use the tool. If I knew how to use the tool, I could figure out
> the structure, but knowing neither makes it very hard to use.
>
> jrh

My advice is to forget working on your main document for the present - it is
too complex for initial learning and one is always worried that a wrong action
will destroy it.  Make a short trial file and use that to set up sample page
numbering.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>