On 10/5/2016 9:59 PM, Brian Barker wrote:
Aaargh! Please don't involve new red herrings. Page numbering is controlled by *page styles*, not templates, not the clutch pedal, not the key of C# minor ...
Until page numbering was added to the template, page numbering didn't work, so the template must be significant.

I would guess the vast majority of OO users, don't use master documents, and
would encounter similar problems if they tried.

Some simple answers should solve the problem.

From the writers guide:

1) Open a new document from the template you created in Step 2,
by clicking New > Templates and Documents, then selecting
the template you created.

Be sure the first page of this new document is set to
the page style you want for the first page of the final
document; if it is not, change it.

Is this done by inserting a page break,
and selecting something from the menu?

In our example, the style for the first page is Title page.

There is no Title page option, but their is a first page,
is this what should be selected, or am I on the wrong track?

jrh