At 01:08 15/11/2016 -0500, Linda Hull wrote:
I[...] have Open Office 4.1.2.

With a free product, there is rarely any reason to stick with older versions.

What I want to do is prepare the file using Open Office Writer, instead of notepad++.

If you already have something that serves the purpose, why change?

An example of the text is:
USER: nIckmenza ACCESS: 250 L
CHANNEL: #arlington AUTOMODE: OP
LAST SEEN: 0 days, 02:45:30 ago.
LAST MODIFIED: pomol Sir^POMOL!digi...@pomol.users.undernet.org 4087 days, 09:31:38 ago
[etc.]

What I want to do is make all of the data about each individual user be on ONE line, so that it will open and appear all on a single line, in Calc. [...] How can I do the same thing in Writer, to make the data for each user in a single line? Like: USER: okidoki ACCESS: 100 L CHANNEL: #arlington AUTOMODE: OP LAST SEEN: 0 days, 17:27:17 ago. LAST MODIFIED: darxide dxd-!~d...@darxide.users.undernet.org 40 days, 07:29:15 ago

o Go to Edit | Find & Replace... (or Ctrl+F).
o Click More Options and tick "Regular expressions".
o Search for $ and Replace with a single space.
o Now search for USER: and replace with \n& .

You might find it useful to replace with a semicolon instead of a space in the first case. Then, when you use Paste Special... to paste the result into your spreadsheet, you can tick Semicolon under "Separated by" in the Text Import window in order to separate the text into different columns across the rows.

I wouldn't mind knowing how to eliminate the colon ":" after USER: AUTOMODE: SEEN: AND MODIFIED: without eliminating the colons in all of the times? The obvious way is Find and Replace each one R: E: N: and D:, is there a more efficient way, maybe a regex for letters not numbers?

Yup. If the relevant colons are the only ones that appear after alphabetic characters instead of digits, search for ([:alpha:]): and replace with $1 (again with "Regular expressions" ticked).

With your data in the spreadsheet, you may find Data | Text to Columns... useful in reformatting it.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker